Pinelopi Koujianou Goldberg
37 Hillhouse Avenue
Department of Economics
P.O. Box 208264
New Haven, CT 06520-8264
Dual Citizenship: Greece, U.S.
Research and Teaching Interests
Empirical International Trade and Industrial Organization, Applied Microeconomics.
Elihu Professor of Economics, Yale University, 2017-present (on public service leave).
Chief Economist of the World Bank Group (Nov. 2018 – present).
William K. Lanman, Jr. Professor of Economics, Yale University, 2010- 2017.
Editor-in-Chief, American Economic Review, 2011- 2016.
Professor of Economics, Princeton University, 2007- 2010.
Co-Editor, American Economic Review, 2007-2010 and 2017.
Professor of Economics, Yale University, 2001-2007.
Visiting Scholar, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, 2006-07.
Professor of Economics, Columbia University, 1999-2001.
Assistant Professor of Economics, Princeton University, 1992-99.
Summer Intern, Research Department of the IMF, 6/89-9/89.
· American Economic Association
Elected Vice-President, 2018-19.
· Econometric Society, elected Fellow in 2004.
Elected Second Vice President in 2018 (to serve as President in 2021).
Elected Member of the Executive Committee, 2017-2021.
Elected Member of the Council, 2016-19.
· Eastern Economic Association
· National Bureau of Economic Research:
Faculty Research Associate, 2001- present (currently on leave).
Faculty Research Fellow, 1995-2001.
· Bureau for Research and Economic Analysis of Development (BREAD):
Member of the Board, 2010-present.
Senior Fellow, 2005 - 2010.
· International Growth Centre (IGC), London School of Economics, Research Affiliate, 2016- present.
· Member of the Federal Economic Statistics Advisory Committee (FESAC), 2006-2012.
Honors and Awards
· National Academy of Sciences, elected in 2019.
· American Academy of Arts and Sciences, elected in 2014.
· Center for Economic Policy Research (CEPR) Distinguished Fellow, 2019-present.
· John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation Fellowship, 2010-11.
· Recipient of 2003 Bodossaki Prize in Social Sciences.
· Sloan Foundation Faculty Research Fellowship, 1998-2000.
· Russell Sage Foundation Fellowship, 1998-1999.
· Selected by the Review of Economic Studies as a European Seminar Tour Speaker, 1992.
· Olin Foundation Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship, 1990-91.
· Stanford University Research Paper Award, 1989.
· Onassis Foundation Graduate Studies Fellowship, 1987-1988.
· Five-year scholarship of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) for the study of Economics in Germany, 1981-1986.
· IFS Annual Lecture, London, 2019.
· Coase Lecture, London School of Economics, 2019.
· CEMFI Opening Lecture, Madrid, 2019.
· Razin Lecture, Georgetown University, 2019.
· Keynote Address at Opening Ceremony of Munich Graduate School of Economics, 2018.
· Master Lecture, NBER Development Economics Summer Institute, 2018.
· Arlitt Lecture, University of Texas, Austin, 2018.
· DEC Lecture, World Bank, 2018.
· Presidential Address, Eastern Economic Association, 2018.
· Gaston Eyskens Lectures, K.U. Leuven, Belgium, 2017.
· David Steine Lecture, Vanderbilt University, 2017.
· Harry Lyman Hooker Distinguished Visiting Professor Lectures, McMaster University, Canada, 2017.
· Pareto Lecture in Economics and Social Sciences, University of Torino, 2017.
· Keynote Address at “Second Generation Productivity Analysis and Policy” Conference, World Bank, Washington DC, 2016.
· Keynote Address at the 19th Annual Conference on Global Economic Analysis, World Bank, Washington DC, 2016.
· Seymour E. and Ruth B. Harris Lecture, Harvard University, March 2016.
· Keynote Address at the 2015 Nordic International Trade Seminar (NOITS).
· Keynote Address at the 2014 joint Conference of the International Growth Center and Stanford Center for International Development.
· Keynote Address at the 2010 CEPR Conference on Applied Industrial Organization.
· W.A. Mackintosh Lecture, Queen's University, 2010.
· Sargan Lecture: Keynote Address at the conference of the Royal Economic Society, 2009.
· Marshall Lecture: Keynote Address at the European Congress (joint meeting of the Econometric Society and European Economic Association), 2009.
Publications (by research area)
A. International Trade Policies: Effects and Determinants
· Prices, Markups and Trade Reform, with Jan De Loecker, Amit Khandelwal and Nina Pavcnik, Econometrica, Vol.84, 2, March 2016, pp. 445-510.
Non-technical summary in Microeconomic Insights February 1, 2016: http://microeconomicinsights.org/prices-markups-and-trade-reform/
· The Effects of Trade Policy, with Nina Pavcnik, prepared for the Handbook of Commercial Policy, edited by K. Bagwell and R. Staiger, 1st Edition, Vol. 1A, Chapter 3, 2016.
· Variety In, Variety Out: Imported Input and Product Scope Expansion in India, (with Amit Khandelwal and Nina Pavcnik), in J. Bhagwati and A. Panagariya eds., Reforms and Economic Transformation in India, pp. 168-199, Oxford University Press 2012.
· Imported Intermediate Inputs and Domestic Product Growth: Evidence from India, with A. Khandelwal, N. Pavcnik and P. Topalova, Quarterly Journal of Economics, 125(4), 2010, pp. 1727-67.
· Intellectual Property Rights Protection in Developing Countries: The Case of Pharmaceuticals, Journal of the European Economic Association, Volume 8, April-May 2010, pp. 326-53.
This is the published version of my Alfred Marshall Lecture delivered at the European Congress in Barcelona, August 2009.
· Multi-product Firms and Product Turnover in the Developing World: Evidence from India, with A. Khandelwal, N. Pavcnik and P. Topalova, Review of Economics and Statistics, 92(4), 2010, pp. 1042‐1049.
This paper is a shorter version of a paper that was circulated earlier and is now available as NBER Working Paper No. 14127. For more details on the data and estimation, you can also read the Web Appendix to this paper: Web Appendix
· Trade Liberalization and Imported Inputs, with A. Khandelwal, N. Pavcnik and P. Topalova, American Economic Review, May 2009, pp. 494-500.
· Estimating the Effects of Global Patent Protection in Pharmaceuticals: A Case Study of Quinolones in India, with S. Chaudhuri and P. Jia, American Economic Review, Dec. 2006, pp. 1477-1513.
· Trade Policy and Industrial Sector Responses in the Developing World: Interpreting the Evidence, Comment on E. Erdem and J. Tybout, Brookings Trade Forum, 2003.
· Protection for
· Product Differentiation and Oligopoly in International
Markets: The Case of the
· Causes and Consequences of the Export Enhancement
Program, with M. Knetter, in: R. Feenstra (ed.): Effects
· Strategic Export Promotion in the Absence of Government Precommitment, International Economic Review, May 1995, pp. 407-26.
· Trade Policies in the U.S. Automobile Industry, Japan and the World Economy, May 1994, pp. 175-208.
B. Exchange Rate Pass-Through, Pricing-to-Market and International Price Discrimination
· A Structural Approach to Identifying the Sources of Local-Currency Price Stability, with Rebecca Hellerstein, Review of Economic Studies, Jan. 2013, 80(1), pp. 175-210.
· A Structural Approach to Explaining Incomplete Exchange Rate Pass-through and Pricing-To-Market, with R. Hellerstein, American Economic Review, May 2008, pp. 423-29. Pre-publication version can be read here: Passthrough_Short
· Market Integration and Convergence to the Law of One Price: Evidence from the European Car Market, with F. Verboven, Journal of International Economics, Jan. 2005, pp. 49-73.
· Cross-Country Price Dispersion in the Euro Era: A Case Study of the European Car Market, with F. Verboven, Economic Policy, October 2004 (copy available only through Economic Policy; for preliminary version see Working Papers).
· The Evolution of Price Dispersion in European Car Markets, with F. Verboven, Review of Economic Studies, Oct. 2001, pp. 811-48.
§ Reprinted in P. Joskow and M. Waterson (eds.) Empirical Industrial Organization, Edward Elgar, 2004.
· Measuring the Intensity of Competition in Export Markets, with M. Knetter, Journal of International Economics, Feb. 1999, pp. 27-60.
· Goods Prices and Exchange Rates: What Have We Learned?, with M. Knetter, Journal of Economic Literature, Sep. 1997, pp. 1243-72.
C. Distributional Effects of Trade Liberalization
· Introduction to book on “Trade and Inequality”, edited by P. K. Goldberg, Edward Elgar Research Collections, May 2015.
· Distributional Effects of Globalization in Developing Countries, with N. Pavcnik, Journal of Economic Literature, March 2007, 45(1), pp. 39-82.
· Trade, Wages, and the Political Economy of Trade Protection: Evidence from the Colombian Trade Reforms, with N. Pavcnik, Journal of International Economics, May 2005, pp. 75-105.
· Short term consequences of trade reform for industry employment and wages: Survey of evidence from Colombia, with N. Pavcnik, May 2005, World Economy 28(7), 923-939.
· Trade Reforms and Wage Inequality in Colombia, with O. Attanasio and N. Pavcnik, Journal of Development Economics, 74, August 2004, pp. 331-366.
· Trade, Inequality, and Poverty: What Do We Know? Evidence from Recent Trade Liberalization Episodes in Developing Countries, with N. Pavcnik, Brookings Trade Forum, 2004, pp. 223-269 (also available as NBER Working Paper #10593).
· Trade Liberalization and Industry Wage Structure: Evidence from Brazil, with N. Pavcnik, A. Blom, and N. Schady, World Bank Economic Review, 18(3), 2004, pp. 319-344.
· The Effects of the Colombian Trade Liberalization on Urban Poverty, with N. Pavcnik, August 2004, forthcoming in A. Harrison (ed.), Globalization and Poverty, NBER.
· The Response of the Informal Sector to Trade Liberalization, with N. Pavcnik, Journal of Development Economics, 72, Dec. 2003, pp. 463-496.
D. Other Papers in Applied Microeconomics
· Firm Performance in a Global Market, with Jan De Loecker, Annual Review of Economics, Vol. 6, Aug. 2014, pp. 201-227.
· Credit Constraints in the Market for Consumer Durables: Evidence from Micro Data on Car Loans, with O. Attanasio and E. Kyriazidou, International Economic Review, May 2008, pp. 401-36 (earlier version available as NBER Working Paper No. 7694)
· The Effects of the Corporate Average Fuel Economy Standards in the Automobile Industry, Journal of Industrial Economics, Mar. 1998, pp. 1-33.
· Dealer Price Discrimination in New Car Purchases: Evidence from the Consumer Expenditure Survey, Journal of Political Economy, Jun. 1996, pp. 622-54.
· The Effects of Financial Deregulation on Consumption, with T. Bayoumi. Greek Economic Review, Vol. 12/2, Dec. 1990. (Also available as IMF Working Paper #89-88, Oct. 1989).
Working Papers and Work in Progress
· The Return to Protectionism, with Pablo Fajgelbaum, Amit Khandelwal, and Patrick Kennedy. First draft: Sept. 2018. Current draft: Oct. 2019, forthcoming in The Quarterly Journal of Economics
· Trade and Informality in the Presence of Labor Market Frictions and Regulations, with Rafael Dix-Carneiro, Costas Meghir and Gabriel Ulyssea, Mar. 2019, (NSF Award #1629124)
· How Rigid are Producer Prices?, with Rebecca Hellerstein, Sept. 2011.
· Cross-Country Price Dispersion and the Euro, with F. Verboven, solicited by Economic Policy for the April 2004 Panel Meeting in Dublin, Ireland (preliminary version; final version available only through Economic Policy).
Other (non-academic) Writings
· Supervised the World Bank’s World Development Report 2020: "Trading for Development in the Age of Global Value Chains"
· Free trade is under fire but we must fight for its preservationFinancial Times, September 23, 2019.
· The Future of Trade IMF, Finance & Development, June 2019, Vol. 56, No. 2.
· What next for global trade? Project Syndicate, January 10, 2019.
· Director of Graduate Studies, Princeton Department of Economics, 2008-2010.
· Graduate: International Trade, Industrial Organization, Applied Econometrics.
· Undergraduate: International Trade, Applied Econometrics, Microeconomics.
· Best Graduate Student Advisor Award, Yale Department of Economics, 2005.
· Inequality: The IFS Deaton Review, Member of Expert Panel, 2019-present.
· Nominating Committee, American Economic Association, 2019.
· Annual Review of Economics (ARE), Member of Editorial Board, 2018-2019.
· Microeconomic Insights, Member of Editorial Board, 2017-2019.
· Nominating Committee, Econometric Society, 2016.
· Journals Committee, American Economic Association, 2016.
· Jury Member for the BBVA Foundation Frontiers of Knowledge Award in Economics, Finance and Management, 2015-2019.
· Selection Committee for Carlo Alberto Medal, 2015, 2017.
· Selection Committee for Birgit Grodal Award of the European Economic Association, 2014, 2016.
· Electoral Board, Nuffield Professorship of Economics, Oxford University, 2011-2012.
· Committee on Honors and Awards, American Economic Association, 2008-2012.
· Chair of Committee on Implementation of Disclosure Policy, American Economic Association, 2012.
· Committee on Registry of Randomized Trials, American Economic Association, 2012.
· Nominating Committee, Econometric Society, 2008-2009.
· Foreign Editor: Review of Economic Studies, 2001-2007.
· Past Editorial Positions: Economic Journal, Journal of Business and Economic Statistics.
· Referee: American Economic Review, Econometrica, Economic Journal, International Economic Review, Journal of Development Economics Journal of Economic Literature, Journal of Industrial Economics, Journal of International Economics, Journal of Political Economy, Quarterly Journal of Economics, Rand Journal of Economics, Review of Economic Studies.
· Program Chair for the 2003 Econometric Society Winter Meetings.
· Program Committee Member for the 2009 American Economic Association meetings.
· Program Committee Member for the 2008 American Economic Association meetings.
· Program Committee Member for the 9th World Congress of the Econometric Society.
· Program Committee Member for the 2006 Econometric Society Winter Meetings.
· Program Committee Member for the 2000 Econometric Society Winter Meetings.
· NSF Advisory Panel in Economics, 2000 – 2002.
Fluent in Greek, German.